Pages

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Show me your O-run

3/26 O-run 63 mins @ Palmetto State O-run with the team in MT101's with left foot taped

Got up at 4am to leave at 5am for South Carolina.  We were worried about rain, but the weather held out until our trip back, as our start time was 10:23AM.  After a slightly round about trip through Charlotte we arrived with less than an hour to spare.  We suited up and lined up to wait for our number to be called.  It was around 50 degrees with a bit of wind, thankfully I didn't have to wait long before we got to start.  The clock hit 10:23 and off we went.

I'm not going to give an obstacle by obstacle breakdown, but some of my favorites include the "Golden Child balance posts" and the "3 baby atlas stones."  I really liked the course, it was basically flat with plenty of climb and carry based obstacles.  Nothing extremely technical, but quite a few that required team work, like the ten foot wall and the tire flip as well as several carries that required multiple team members.  The lack of congestion getting into and out of the event was also a plus.  We actually started at the EXACT time we were supposed to start!  I can't say enough about how well this event was put together.  For someone who still wears contact lenses, it was great to have a course that isn't intentionally designed to ruin your clothes and your car's interior when you leave.  I think we will definitely be back next year. 

In terms of my personal performance, I was blown away by how much my conditioning has improved since the USMC Mud Run.  It seems running is the real key to success in these events.  Due to the team nature, there was never a point where I really felt like I was pushing myself that hard.  I felt about 10x better afterward than I do after my weekend long runs.  My plan is to get in a long run on Tuesday but to maintain a heart rate of 80% during the entire run.  In a bit of irony, the t-shirts I ordered for the team arrived in the mail that Saturday after I got back.

No comments:

Post a Comment