Pages

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

I guess I have a little ways to go before I hit that 4 minute mile...

3/22 run 50 mins (2x1600m 1x800m repeats) on American Tobacco Trail soft side in New Balance MT10 Minimus Trail w/ Injinji socks

1600m
1. 8:15  HR avg 159
2. 8:37  HR avg 169
800m
3. 4:09  HR avg 167

HR avg 141 max 176 (average heart rate includes warm-up, cool-down and rest intervals)

I'm still sorting out my warm-up transition into my first interval, but I felt better this time.  I think for shorter intervals I need to start off with some sprints and then a slow jog before my first repeat.  The +1 and my brother came with and it was all I could do to keep up with +1 at the start of the first 1600m.  She's still recovering from a half marathon this past weekend too!  My times aren't as close as I would have hoped.  Oddly enough, I actually thought my 2nd 1600m was faster and I might have held back a little.  This was my first time doing 1600m repeats, so I really tried to pace myself as I screwed up my first 800m last week.  The +1 remarked on how hard it is to run on this side of the American Tobacco Trail and that made me feel a bit better about my lackluster times.  I guess rocky terrain and minimal footwear will do that to you, but I figure this is the best way to improve my trail performance.

My knees are still swollen from Saturday, but they didn't bother me on the run.  My left foot felt kind of raw in the beginning, but it seemed to work itself out.  Once I get fluid in my knees it always takes forever to completely work its way out.  I'm just hoping to run through it this time, as it's not too bad yet.  I am concerned about my lifting tomorrow.  Hopefully things will improve overnight.

Today I mowed the lawn for the first time since last summer.  To give you some background, I have this ancient 36" Exmark walk behind.  It weighs a couple hundred pounds and is a real beast to maneuver thanks to some very touchy hand controls and no brakes.  I could really notice a difference in the level of effort I had to put forth, so maybe there is something to this running stuff.  It could also be that I didn't wear my normal dust mask though...

No comments:

Post a Comment