Pages

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Drippy Drippy

3/10 run 36 mins on Sal's Branch @ Umstead in New Balance MT101 with left foot taped in the middle of a massive rainstorm

HR avg 161 max 176

My goal was to do at least 3 miles and I think I ended up with 3.3 miles depending on which GPS watch you believe (Timex or Garmin 405).  I couldn't drop the hammer in part due to the conditions (pouring rain and standing water everywhere) or my already sore lower legs.  I also ran the trail in the opposite direction.  This is my first time running Sal's Branch counterclockwise.  I'm not sure why I haven't done it before today.  I think if the trail was dry and I had run clockwise, like normal, I could have gotten into the high 10's.  Since it was pouring down rain, I wore my REI Airflyte Running Jacket but with temperatures in the low 60's, I went shirtless underneath.  This turned out to be a good strategy as I still ended up with the jacket mostly open, but I did leave my Mizuno headband on the whole time.  It did a good job keeping the rain from dripping down into my eyes.  The Jacket is awesome,  it's incredibly thin and lightweight but blocks out all the wind and rain.  It breaths better than anything else I've tried that's waterproof/windproof.

Apparently I'm not the only person dumb enough to run in a downpour as I crossed paths with another runner two times.  She was going in the opposite direction and it look like she was seriously booking.  I'm glad we weren't running the same way or she probably would have lapped me.  Ok, I'm exaggerating and it could be the speed differential between us combined with the poor visibility, at least I hope that's what it was... 

My left foot was pretty sore on this one and my calves were still aching from the speed work on Tuesday.  I'm glad I taped up lefty and wore my MT101's, plus I didn't want to get my new MT10's all wet and muddy!  I put on my Zensah mantyhose when I stopped back by the house before heading out to get groceries and pickup dinner.  Yes, I have no shame and wear them in public with shorts and flip flops.  I'm hoping they will work some of their magic and give me a pair of fresh legs for my Saturday long run.  This week will be a big jump in total running time and I would really like to stay healthy, but I need these long runs if I plan to survive the 12 miler.

No comments:

Post a Comment