Pages

Friday, January 21, 2011

Consistency of Brutality

1/21 lift squat 6x265 bench 10x190,6+2x205,2+2x225 pull-ups with 50lb kb and rotator cuff exercises

I felt the need to list out the bench, as I blew myself out on the first set.  I don't know what it is about the 10 rep set, but I knew as soon as I racked the weight, I was done.  You get that feeling where your muscles feel too swollen to contract properly.  I wonder if my high rep efficiency would improve if I started doing more push-ups and crossfit workouts again (perhaps my lactic acid threshold is down?).  I'm not going to worry about it until after I get through Uhwarrie, as I think I'm already pushing my limits for physical adaptation at my current fitness level.

I think brutality is a good description for my squats today.  I've been on a downward spiral with my squats lately, which I would like to blame on the running and the knee injury.  So today I sucked it up and pushed myself as hard as I could to get those reps.  I believe my conscious effort to up calories  and protein played a part in my success (I sit here drinking a protein shake and eating two eggs at 1am).  I went up on my 10 rep set to 205 and I stuck with 225 for 8 and 265 for 6 (which I failed to complete in a single set last time).  I got myself bent over on a couple of reps, but I gutted through it and got it done.  I ended up working out around 11pm tonight, as work was a mess today.  It's funny how I find myself pushing heavier weights when I'm alone, but I feel less pressure in doing so.  I guess, in part, I enjoy the calm and mental focus I get working out by myself.  I've trained solo for most of my life and I think it definitely has it's place, although there is nothing like a training partner to maintain honesty and consistency.

My knees feel good and I seem to have no residual issues from my run on Thursday.  I'll be planning for 45 mins on Saturday.  If this goes well, I'll restart my running schedule of Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Saturdays.  I will probably just repeat the distances I've done so far.  I have the potential for 6 more runs before Uwharrie and I need to make the most of them to get my body ready.  If I can get up to 1.5 hours injury free, I'll be fine.  My only real goal for the race is to prepare my body for the mileage, so I don't experience mechanical failure or injury.

No comments:

Post a Comment