Pages

Monday, September 6, 2010

The nitty gritty

I started my last post to document my physical trials and tribulations, but it kind of took on a life of its own.  My goal with this blog is to keep myself accountable and maybe gain a little insight along the way.  I can't afford a personal trainer or a life coach, so maybe people posting disparaging remarks on the internet will help motivate me.  Over the last few years I've had good days and bad, if these are the result of a lack of mental toughness or something more remains to be seen at the moment.  Hopefully I will have more on this front tomorrow.

Time to start explaining my plan for recording the data.  For my weight training, I will list my core lifts and the top weight along with number of sets.  For my runs,  I will just list my distance, time or pace along with any notes regarding the runs.  I hope to be adding Crossfit, kickboxing, wrestling and yoga back into the mix if my back remains healthy.  I'm still recovering from a severe back injury in April on the trap bar deadlift.  I never stopped lifting, but my core back lifts have not recovered yet and I've still got some mental blocks on trying to deadlift, although I think the magic of the trap bar is gone.  It could just be coincidence but I never injured myself with conventional deadlifts and I've now had two separate incidents while using the trap bar.  I think it still has it's place, perhaps just not for lifts over 90% of max.

9/5 ran 25 min continuously in Vibram Five Finger KSO Treks on American Tobacco Trail (unpaved rail trail)
My +1 has the details on her Garmin, but I think we were close to a 10min/mile pace.  The arch in my left foot has been having some issues over the last few weeks but I'm doing my best to work through it in my VFF's.  The blisters I have on the sides of my big toes from my VFF's were fine up until the last 5 minutes of the run.  I try and manage my pace on these runs and kick it out at the end, but my right foot blister was bulging and throbbing at that point and I didn't want to risk tearing it off trying to up my pace.  Even in the Injinji socks with a bit of Runner's lube on the hot spots, I can't seem to shake these blisters.

9/6 lift box squat 5x260 towel bench 5x230 (up 5lbs on both lifts)
I was solo for this workout, which can be a nice change of pace at times as I have lifted solo for most of my adult life.  I kicked up the pull-ups by 5lbs as well (35lbs).  The left shoulder is still recovering but I was able to hit 4x90 on the left for dumbell snatches and 4x100 on the right.  The shoulder didn't feel like it was separating as badly on the pull but I still can't lower the heavy dumbell on that side without sharp pain.  I was lazy and skipped my rotator cuff auxiliaries but I plan to do them tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment