Pages

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Blah and Back Spasms

So today I woke up feeling lethargic with a killer sore throat.  I should have known I was in for some trouble this morning, when my back spasms as I climb atop my porcelain throne.  The rest of the day it was all I could do to stay awake and try to get some reading done.  My lifting partner was in training today, so we weren't planning to get together until around 7pm, instead of our regular lunch time workouts.  This provided me with ample time to engage in such pursuits as watching "Dreamscape" aka the "Inception" prequel.

So 7pm rolls around and my lifting partner arrives, but in his arrival one of our dogs decides this is her chance for freedom.  In my attempt to grab her before she slips out the door I wrench my back...again.  If he wasn't standing in the doorway I would have called off the lifting session.  It was all I could do to stand up straight and gingerly make my way to the basement dungeon.  I grabbed my foam roller on the way, hoping for some relief from the pain.  I really don't know how I did it, and my back is returning the favor with interest as I type this.  Here are the results:

9/8 lift power clean 5x175 conventional deadlift 5x335 failed 365  incline dumbells 5x55 5x65 7x70
I really don't know how I lifted anything off the ground, as I can barely lean forward to wash my hands in the sink right now.  My favorite back snack is off the menu as well, no ibuprofen due to the upper endoscopy.

In retrospect I can see where I missed the road signs today before barreling off the cliff of back pain.  Dehydration is the number one enemy to those of us with back issues.  I should have worked harder at rehydrating after the 18+ hour fast before the procedure yesterday.  Those pangs I felt this morning should have told me I needed to be more careful.  At this point, I'm just hoping I can pull off a hot shower and a sound sleep.  I've avoided the pain killers and opted for a couple NUUN tablets in water, hoping I can rehydrate after the fact.  Thankfully I've learned I can run barefoot/minimalist style when my back is in pretty bad shape, which was never an option with conventional running styles.  So, hopefully, I'll still be able to get in a run tomorrow.  If I remember, I'll try and get some photos of us hobbling along.

No comments:

Post a Comment