Pages

Friday, August 12, 2011

I hate asphalt

8/9 run 48 mins on ATT by Bull City Running in Altra Instincts (1st shoe run!)

temp 95+ (after dynamic stretch workshop)
HR avg 162 max 175

The +1 is doing the Bull program through Bull City Running, so she had a 50 min run tonight, but first she wanted to check out the dynamic stretch workshop at BCR, so I figured I would tag along.  I think the two combined to work against me, but I'll get to that in a minute.  I brought my new running shoes, the Altra Instinct, and wore my flip-flops for the clinic as I'm most comfortable practically barefoot and I hate to start a run with sweaty feet.

So turns out the workshop is being held outside in the heat on the concrete and we all get to practice alongside the instructor.  Normally this isn't a big deal and it didn't bother me at the time to run around barefoot doing various drills but as soon as I put my shoes on started running the balls of my feet felt like they were on fire.  This feeling only got worse the longer we ran.  I don't know if the concrete took of some skin and the sweat was burning me or if it was just some kind of weird hot spot, but it felt like I was running on giant blood blisters the whole time.  I'm thinking the combination of barefoot concrete warmups, the new shoes and running on pavement created a bit of a perfect storm.  My feet look any worse for wear after the run but they continued to hurt for a day or two.

The run itself started off great, but the relentless pace of the +1 and the oppressive heat began to take its toll toward the end.  I was ready to be done and felt like I was trying to sprint by the last 10 minutes.  I definitely need to be running more and not using the bike as my excuse.

No comments:

Post a Comment