Pages

Friday, July 8, 2011

Back on the Trails

7/7 run 60 mins @ Eno River on Cox Mountain Trail and Fanny's Ford Trail in MT101's

temp 80's
HR avg 154 max 171

I was all packed up and ready to head out at 2:30pm when the thunderstorms rolled in.  I figured I probably shouldn't tempt fate again, so I waited until a little after 5pm to start my run after the thunder and lightning had passed.  My pace feels slow as a snail, but looking at my past runs I'm pretty much in line with those times.  I tried to grind out all the climbs today just to put in a little extra effort and use the flatter sections to balance out my heart rate.  I feel like my running performance has been slipping lately, but it's probably just the heat.  I need to get in a longer run this weekend, but at an HR of 155 or less.  My plan for next Thursday is to run at Umstead so I can compare with my data from this past winter.

I started to get kind of sick after this run, so I skipped my crossfit workout tonight.  I've been playing with Vespa CV-25, so I've cut out all my caloric nutrition on my runs for the last month or so.  I'll just run with NUUN in my water bottle or just plain water in the CamelBak.  I'm not ready to pass judgement on the product one way or the other.  I blame getting sick more on not eating lunch due to delaying the run than on anything else.  Once I got home and wolfed down some dinner I started to feel a lot better.  I'm not sure how I'll fuel for this weekend's run, as I want to run at least 90 mins.  I will say I feel like my recovery has been better since I started using the Vespa.  This could also be related to me shortening or skipping my weekend long runs.  I do feel like my interval work isn't beating me up as much.  I haven't used my compression socks for recovery in at least a month or more.

No comments:

Post a Comment