Pages

Saturday, April 23, 2011

My Feet Hurt

4/21 run 60 mins on pavement in southern Delaware wearing New Balance Trail Minimus MT10 with Injinji socks

HR avg 149 max 159

Ouch, why must we cover so many natural surfaces with hard concrete and asphalt.  At least that's what my feet started asking me after about 15 minutes.  I put in some time running along the highway today.  Crosswinds were a little rough, but the temperature was perfect at around 60 degrees.  My knee is feeling pretty good now, but the top of my right foot is jacked.  Not sure why, but I'm having trouble flexing my big toe upward and when I put my hand on top of it; it's like I can feel the tendon rubbing/squeaking as it moves, weird I know.  My left foot has been doing much better and my plantar fasciitis is pretty minimal at this point thanks to the Darco Body Armor Night Splint.  I never make it through the whole night with it on, but I put it on before bed and rip the thing off at some point during the night.  I think I probably get in around 4 hours with it on.  Seems to be doing the trick though, combined with nightly calf stretches.  The splint gets really hot at night, but otherwise it's the only one I've found that's actually wearable.

Running on the side of a 50mph highway is not a good time, but no one ran me over, and it did have a wide shoulder.  Wider than any of the narrow in town streets.  The good thing is, by running out of town on the highway, it forced me to run longer as I had to turn around and run the whole way back too.  Not at the top of my list for scenic runs, but better than sitting at home!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have to extensor tendonitis on your right foot. I've had it on my left foot (same exact symptoms). Takes a while to heal (mine took about 4 weeks).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Der Scott:
    I believe you have hit the nail on the head and, in a twist of irony, the cure for one problem is to blame for the other. The Superfeet don't leave much room in my MT101's for my feet, so I've had to lace them tighter to keep the shoes on and this, in turn, is what I believe has caused the problem in my right foot. One thing leads to another, I guess. Do you know what brought on your case?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I know exactly what brought on my case - my shoes were tied too tight during the Umstead Marathon! Actually, I think it was more that I didn't allow for the amount of foot swelling that comes with marathon distances. By the time I felt the pain and loosened my shoes, it was too late. I'll tell you what my doc told me - ice it, stretch it and massage it to help it heal. And try not to run through too much pain as it can get worse pretty quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Der Scott:
    Thanks for the details. It sounds exactly like what happened to me during MST.

    ReplyDelete