Pages

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Tick, Tick Boom!

5/28 run 67 mins @ Eno River on Shakori, Ridge trails in New Balance MT101 w/ drymax hot weather socks

HR avg 150 max 182

As you can see this post is a little late.  I've got a bunch of posts that I'm behind on but as I'm officially on vacation I will try and get caught up over the next few days.  We decided to bring along our LBD (large black dog) aka lab/newf mix aka Maddy Mud Butt.  She is a bit of a trail hog, even with her gentle leader but she loves to run.  This run felt more like an interval workout as the LBD is a natural sprinter.  On our return loop I felt something bite my ankle and found I already had a tick attached and several more crawling on me.  Apparently my 40% deet spray wasn't doing a very good job.  We promptly began decontamination procedures upon returning to the car and found a bunch more ticks.  Some attached and some not...  We left our shoes and socks in the back of the Jeep and slapped a fresh dose of Frontline Plus on Maddy as soon as we got home. 

To give you an idea of how bad the ticks were, TWO days later when I went for my next run I found 5 more ticks on our shoes and socks that we left in the car!  They were all very much alive and actively waiting for our return with open arms...  Here it is June 8th and the tick bites from this run are still itching me and the +1 has marked Shakori and Ridge off her list for awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment