Pages

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

High of 94 degrees

5/30 run 70 mins on American Tobacco Trail soft side in New Balance MT101 w/ Balega socks and CamelBak Lobo

HR avg 158 max 169



I picked up a 100oz CamelBak Lobo at REI over the weekend and decided to take it for a test run on Memorial Day.  The pack is designed for mountain biking but it's a very lightweight design with minimal bulk and storage.  I wore a sleeveless mesh top and I didn't have any chafing issues.  Running around with over 6lbs of water on my back definitely slowed me down a bit and takes some getting used to.  I figured with the rising temps and my need for longer runs this would be my best option.  I filled it up with water and ice and away I went.  I put my gels in the top pocket, so I could reach behind my head and unzip the pouch with one hand and grab them with the other.  It works pretty well.  The added storage is great and doesn't make the pack bulky or interfere with your arm swing.

I had some trouble getting my heart rate under control between the ridiculous heat (I ran right before sundown) and the pack on my back.  I'm down to 3 weeks until my next race and the heat has me worried.  I got faster as the sun went down along with the temperature.  I'm looking forward to more runs with the CamelBak Lobo.

No comments:

Post a Comment